Friday, December 19, 2008

Audreys Comments....

Audizzle -
Well that was something I didn’t expect. Coming home from a game drive to see our lodge terrorized by a rogue elephant and the occupants at the time terminally scarred (or exhilarated) by the incident, almost being charged by two other elephants on a testosterone binge and a lonely rhino ( in its defense we did rudely interrupt it drinking by a waterhole on a game walk). Suffice to say I did not successfully sleep until I was almost comatose from exhaustion. Why? You try sleeping (being the sheltered only child who before now had never seen a giraffe in the wild) with baboons screaming at a large leopard growling not too far from our hut. It was very exciting and I have apologized to Christo a million times for digging my fingernails into his flesh every time I heard a suspicious noise. I managed to see the Big 5 in 3 days (with the leopard on our first game walk which I am chuffed to announce). I think one of the highlights though was the tiny impala carcass not half an hour after being half eaten by a cheetah. But alas, I did not see said cheetah or one of my favorites – the hippo.
I would certainly do it again, but I have to ask all the beetles, the mosquitoes and the impossibly large spiders to leave the vicinity of my bed at a 10 meter radius at least.
Africa is beautiful and I can understand why people have stayed even after all its faults. Christmas is soon and I do miss my family but since I’ve got another one it’s not too bad =P. Over and out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Audrey - fantastic blog. Welcome to the joys of travel - all those good things to experience but you have to balance it with everything you leave behind - family, pillows, comfy beds, familiar toilet seats... you get the picture!
Gill